Thursday, October 3, 2013

Szeptember

Somehow it's already October and I have just come to realize that I haven't blogged since that little bubble known as orientation.  Some of you may be sitting at home thinking what on earth I have been doing with myself since the end of August.  Others may have heard pieces here and there.  What I will tell you is that this crazy adventure has been nothing like I thought it would be.

It's been better.  

But it has not been the smoothest of rides.

Orientation was a week filled with the comforts of wifi, a complimentary unlimited transportation pass and a bed all to myself.  I will never take these things for granted again.

On August 28th, we had "Adoption Day" through my program, CETP.  On this day, everyone waited in the hostel with their bags packed and ready to be picked up by their contact teacher. According to the program, your contact teacher is supposed to be around to bring you to your flat, show you around your neighborhood, and assist you during your transition into your new workplace.  We spent the last few hours (or what we thought were the last few hours) on the party terrace, saying our goodbyes to the new friends we had made during the week in Budapest.  

Adoption Day was exciting.

Until I didn't get picked up.

At roughly 14:00 (2:00 pm), myself and three other girls found ourselves alone in the hostel.  Our friends were off on their new adventures, and there we were sitting on the couches of the hostel with our bags packed but nowhere to go.  Since we got to Hungary, we have been learning that most things don't really happen until the day after they were supposed to happen.  We've learned that contracts don't mean much, and verbal promises mean even less.  You kind of just have to cross your fingers and hope that someone remembers your appointment or request.  Remembering this, we decided we need to be pushy and start making some phone calls.  

At 20:00, we finally made it out of the hostel.  And then I was homeless for two weeks.

By homeless, I mean I moved to a foreign country without knowing anyone, and didn't have a home.  

THANKFULLY, I crashed with my friend Hil for these two weeks.  We had a good time being roomies, but as the days went on, I started to wonder how long I would be living out of my suitcases. Also, the entire time Hil and I lived together we didn't have the internet.  We became regular wi-fi thieves at the KFC down the street, standing on the street corner right outside to get a bar or two of service.  I was honestly afraid that they were going to put a picture of our faces on the door and ban us from the premises because in all that time we never actually bought anything.  

After three weeks of being in Hungary, I finally got my flat.  I live about a block and a half from the Danube on the Buda side, directly across from Parliament.  I honestly couldn't be happier with my location.  I can get to Pest in about five minutes and work in about 25.  I also prefer to live in Buda because it's safer and quieter.  When I want to go out, I can just hop on the tram or the metro and be in the center of the city in just a few short minutes.  

The apartment itself is interesting.  You can see some pictures below.

I have no oven or microwave, and sleep on a pullout couch.  The worst part about the couch is that it is sloped downward.  You will see in the picture that my pillows are where they should be- at the headboard.  What you didn't know is that I actually can't sleep like this.  I make my bed so it looks pretty, but then at night I have to put my head at the other end because I'm afraid that all of the blood is going to rush to my head and I'm going to die.  I think it's a rational thought.

 The couch is from the 1970's I would guess and is pink velour.  I also have two jazzy chairs to match.  Ohhh, and a dining room table without chairs.   It was absolutely horrendous when I moved in, but I think I've done a decent job of fixing it up.  Those of you who know me, know that interior decorating is my hell.   It actually looks like a first grader (a really tall one) hung up my pictures, but I tried and that's all that counts.  Always have a teacha mindset.  



ALSO.  My apartment is directly above a Euro Market and a tanning salon.  MAINERS- look at the woman in the Euro Market ad.  MARDENS, anyone?


This last picture is to show you how close my apartment is to the river and what my view is when I walk outside.  I've decided that I can never really have a bad day here.  

I have been having SO many adventures at school.  I am absolutely in love with my children and I definitely have a few favorites.  I just started tutorials this week where I have four students at a time for thirty minutes each.  It makes for really long days but I LOVE it because I have time to really get to know my students.  It can be difficult at times because I have to insist that they speak English at all times.  Some of them are also insane terrors and I don't understand how they can act like they snorted packs of fundip ALL DAY LONG.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to deal with them.  

Things that happen at Krudy that don't happen in the states:

1.) Children TALK all day long.  Over the teacher.  During Tests.  In the hallways.  EVERYWHERE.
2.)  Children don't give a shit about being naked in front of one another.  Before and after PE, the classroom is filled with naked children, boys and girls.  
3.)  Between every 45 minute class, there is a 10 minute break.  During this break, children can act like little terror monkeys, and can absolutely wreck havoc wherever they please.  As in, they are literally running up and down the hallways screaming, playing soccer, hitting each other, etc.  The list could go on and on.
4.)  THEY EAT SO MUCH BREAD.  PRETZELS BUNS ROLLS SANDWICHES ANYTHING.  Seriously.  Anything under the sun that is made out of bread, they will eat.  For breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Last week, we went to a big theater in Pest and watched a musical called "Vuk."  The novel, "Vuk" was written by Istvan Fekete and has since been turned into cartoons and plays around the world.   The story was about a fox named Vuk who leaves home and upon returning, finds that her family has been killed by a hunter.  The story was a little gruesome, but also made me think about stories like The Lion King and Bambi.  For a second, I was worried about my students watching such a tragedy unfold. Then I thought back to asking my students what their favorite movies were back in DC.  When I remembered hearing answers like "Chucky," or "Freddy vs. Jason," I decided my students in Hungary could probably sleep at night after watching a musical about an abandoned fox. 

Also, did I mention that the play was in Hungarian?  I followed along completely (with a littttttle help from some helpful little ones whispering translations into my ear).  

I have a million more adventures to write about but this has already gone on for far too long.  It's almost my bedtime-  tomorrow we have a "Teacher's Day" which I guess involves hiking, Hungarian cuisine, and shots of Palinka.  I'm terrified.

Oh yeah, and then I'm going to Oktoberfest.  

I'm leaving from Budapest at 22:00 tomorrow night on a bus.  I'll be in Munich by the morning where I will drink the finest beers on earth for 12 hours.  At night, we will get back on the bus and be back in Budapest by 10:00 am on Sunday.  So, no hostel, just 10 buses of drunk people.  I might die.  

Also fall break tickets have been purchased for ITALY.  I think my life might be fake.

I'll leave you with a few shots I've taken in the past few days:



1 comment:

  1. We need BEFORE shots of your flat before the photoshoot. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete